Friday, December 28, 2007

The Last December Posting...

I don't have much news, but I do have to say that I have learned so much already being a part of this program. I had an interesting conversation about technology with my best friend today and how there is such a difference now in terms of accessing information between the years we were growing up and going to school and today's youth. The fact that his eleven year old daughter asked for a macbook for Christmas was insane to me, but that might be how ingrained technology has become for those who have grown up with it versus those of us who have learned as adults. I have loved being able to use my computer to read BBC news and keep up with information that I wouldn't be able to get without the computer! I think the frustrations that I have with technology is just showing me that I am stretching myself in ways that aren't natural to me but necessary growth if I want to be a part of this new technology and teach students how to responsibly access information. I think about my dance classes and the fact that I don't get frustrated while dancing because I can keep repeating steps until I get it right; I have patience for it and if I get it wrong, my dance teacher can fix me the next week, but the realignment of steps is always small because I am familiar with the basics. This support is necessary to get it right, which is why I have enjoyed our last two hands on meetings so much. I feel like I understand the basics now with blogging and so my patience with technology has grown leaps and bounds this semester.

Anyway, this post might not be very interesting to read, but thank you to all who are a part of this program--I have learned a lot!

5 comments:

your Athenaeum Bard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
your Athenaeum Bard said...

I know just how you feel! It has been well over 35 years since I graduated from high school. Computers at that time used punched cards 4in by 10in (or there abouts) for inputting; they were large with lots of flashing lights. That part I loved. :-) We'd go over to the University's computer lab, stand in the darkened hallway, and watch through the glass windows. Anyway, being mostly an analog person, I appreciate the stretch for it broadens my comfort zone and enlarges my circle.

[This comment is the second attempt to post...sorry]

italy23 said...

Thanks Lindsay. Now I know how to respond to comments!

Steve

Leslie said...

Speaking from one enthusiastic Information seeker to another, I look forward to even more collaboration with you. Our students will be buzzed with all we have to share with them, and conversely, all we have to learn from them, as well.

Karen said...

I enjoy reading your posts, Lindsay, and I'm so impressed about your applications in the classroom as well as your thoughtful reflections. Did you see the commentary in the Star
Tribune? -- "Why I assigned reading over the holiday break" by Christine Brunkhorst.

Like your dancing analogy, she said, "I tell them: Close your eyes and imagine this: Your mom drives you to school. All your classes are in the same room. After school, the basketball coach comes to the room and shows films of players running drills. Your mom picks you up and you go home to eat dinner and watch more games on ESPN. The next day you do it all over again -- and the next day and the next, all season long. Will you become a better basketball player?

"No way," they laugh.

"You'd get fat," they say.

"Your muscles would atrophy."

"That's what happens to your imaginations," I say, "when you don't read literature."

Thought you might like that . . .