Friday, February 29, 2008

A Wiki World

I live in a wiki world as of late. There is something so appealing in knowing that people can contribute to a shared idea, have a shared voice, but that everyone can choose to work on it in her/his own time and in her/his own space. The feminist literature students seem to use our wiki really well; the Cool Trip wiki paid off big when my friend and I won the travel grant! We are now using it as a planning space for both our research for the trip and our personal thoughts about what to pack.

My latest wiki is for the entire Central staff and I am both excited and apprehensive about it. This wiki is designed as a space for the staff to continue our discussion on the book Courageous Conversations About Race. There is, again, the possibility that no one will find it useful or meaningful to use this wiki. Because this topic is so personal for me, I am more fearful of this reaction, as if it is a direct rejection of me if people choose not to participate--a choice I cannot make when it comes to discussions about race. In any case, I hope that my confession here will allow me to not take the coming reaction personally.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Linds,
It was so gratifying to see the wiki that you created for "Courageous Conversations" at Central! What a great idea. Hopefully, people will add to it frequently. You are truly LIVING the MILP experience!

Karen said...

What exciting news in your first paragraph!!! Congratulations -- and terrific job!!!

As for the second paragraph, good luck and rest easy . . . you are laying the groundwork even if it turns out not to be as active as you hope. It sounds very interesting!