Monday, January 14, 2008

More wikis...

Yes, as you all know already, I am wiki obsessed. I have created two more wikis, one for me personally so I can keep my notes organized and centralized for graduate school and one for my AP Lit and Comp class. For AP Lit and Comp, we are just finishing reading Oedipus the King and were discussing the Oedipus Complex. I have information about Freud on powerpoint, but we ran out of time in class to go through it, so one of my students asked if I could add it to our class blog. I tried to figure this out, but I couldn't find a place to do this--so I created a wiki. I knew I would be able to add it to a wiki, so I set one up quickly while they were working on some questions on a poem related to Oedipus and when they were finished with their questions, I showed them how to use a wiki--on our awesome projector! Only two people in the class had used a wiki before so I walked them through the wiki process and also how to set one up themselves in case they wanted to create their own. It is really basic right now, but they can now view the powerpoint presentation on Freud whenever they have time. Also, it is great to have set up since second semester they have a group project for Crime and Punishment. Since we all know everyone is so busy, I hope they will use this wiki to work online on their projects and hopefully this will enable them to collaborate better. I showed them one of my other wikis as well so they can see the potential of all that the wiki can do. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: