Monday, January 28, 2008

Wiki fever

I am currently on a ship sailing to Aruba. I have taken a week off of school for this family reunion that I am at, which is exciting, but it also makes me very nervous to be gone from school--especially for the first full week of Semester Two. I started teaching Feminist Literature Quest and the beginning part of the semester is very note-heavy so I was particularly nervous to leave them. I knew I could not expect my sub, wonderful as he is, to figure out how to use the projector and present my power point presentations for the notes the students need. So, to manage my fear of leaving them without correct instruction, I created a blog for them and a wiki. On the wiki, I was able to post their notes in different sections. I showed the students before I left how to use the wiki and assigned them their homework of getting the notes from the wiki and the due dates for doing so. I can then update the wiki while I am gone and check the blog if they have questions on the notes. I can then monitor their questions from this remote access site. Of course, they can also leave questions on the wiki and via email. It sets me at ease to do this and allows me to relax and enjoy this vacation! Technology is so great!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

The school has not fallen apart in your absence, but we do miss you. Hopefully, you are having the time of your life with your family. Kudos to you in your technology endeavors to plan ahead and map out communication with everyone!
You could teach all of us, too.