Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thing 12. Other Search Engines

Wow! I had no idea how many search engines and metasearch engines there are. I could spend an eternity checking this all out. I really liked dogpile.com and then I found that it won the Best Meta Data Search Engine award in 2003 on the search engine watch website:

http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2156241

This provides links to over 30 meta data search engines, which I thought was great. I don't know how much new information any of these searches actually find, but there is some comfort knowing that these search engines are compiling the sites for me. For example, I searched Going After Cacciato in dogpile and then searched the web results and the image, audio, and video results. There wasn't anything very relevant in the image, audio, or video results, but I don't know what I was searching for either. I was just testing the search engine.

I also liked customsearchengine.com, because it allows a more limited, customized, search. I found the Liszen site which is a Library and Information Science search engine that I found mildly interesting. I entered National Geographic Library Services since this is what my project is focusing on for my Special Libraries class in grad school. I found some interesting blogs about NGL that I would not have found otherwise, but they weren't particularly useful either.

All this searching just reaffirms that the web is a beastly project to try to understand. I am happy to spend more time getting used to it--and then I get information overload and have to stop searching. I hope that each time I search my patience stretches--as well as my knowledge, of course.

No comments: