Friday, September 21, 2007

Online Information Literacy Learning Activity

Today, I had my AP Literature and Composition students go into the computer lab. With everyone on a computer (it is a very small class), I could walk them through using the databases to research their poetry papers. After the students did some preliminary research, each student had to choose three poets they are going to research. They then had to post their selected poets on the class blog. This created a competition between them because none of the students can research the same poet. There was such a flurry of typing and researching--and a little bit of negotiating too.

I also went online at the same time and found some useful websites they could use besides the databases. When I found an interesting one, I would tell them about it so we could all look at it together. This helped them in their selection of poets because some of them had no idea who and where they should research. I posted this list on the blog as well so they can return to them throughout their research.

It was interesting to learn that seniors in AP aren't all as fluent with technology as I had assumed. It was nice to get everyone on the same page and know they all know how to access databases, reliable websites, and the blog for the class.

Someday, when Central has a bigger computer lab, I could bring all my classes in and do activities like this. It was really fun! I couldn't believe how fast the class flew by and all the students were truly engaged in research the whole time--very exciting!

No comments: