Monday, September 17, 2007

Thing 3: RSS

Saturday morning I was in my Special Library class for my Library and Information Science program. The guest speaker this chilly morning was a special librarian from Target. One thing she spoke about was RSS feeds, something that she creates for many of her users at Target. Everyone in the class seemed familiar with this concept, shaking their heads and agreeing at how useful RSS feeds are. Most people in the class already work in libraries and they are fluent in the technology that is so common in the world outside of the little cocoon of education. For some reason, as educators, we aren't in the same technological loop. I don't know why since we should be inovative and thinking about future trends.

I left class after the guest speaker to arrive at the MILP meeting where RSS feeds come up again. How wonderful to have a tutorial on this the very day I discovered I needed to know about it. I am always a little fearful when I hear about new technology--wondering if I will be able to figure it out, but it turns out it is very easy to create an RSS feed. I told an English teacher friend of mine and she hadn't ever heard of an RSS feed before. I think that this program is such a great opportunity for me because I am slightly below the curve when it comes to my MLIS program in technology, slightly above of the curve as an English teacher; I believe MILP will bridge the gap by forcing me to initiate the conversation about technology and to use technology that I would never do on my own.

No comments: