Monday, October 8, 2007

Thing 15: Collaboration

I brought my students to the library the second week of school to start the collaboration process, which is the usual procedure for me. I love being able to bring my students to the library and have Leslie give them an introduction to the library and the research process. The students watch attentively and they get a bookmark that Leslie makes with the passwords to the databases so they can access them from home. The next week we return to the library to check out books and get these great handouts Leslie has available in the library giving students the correct way to cite different sources using MLA format.

What was really interesting to me is that because of the MILP surveys, which were given after the two different trips to the library, I get to see how much work I need to do to get them to understand research. I don't know if any of the information Leslie presented on when into their heads based on an initial glance through the surveys. It was really eye-opening that we can go through all of the correct steps and the students may not absorb anything. The collaboration process has just begun! More on this later as we go through the research process.

No comments: