Monday, October 8, 2007

Thing 4: Get to know your public library

The busiest public library in the state, the Roseville branch of the Ramsey County Library, is very close to my house. I would never guess it is the busiest library in the state since every time I am there, it is peaceful, it has the feeling that there is a lot of room to wander without being interrupted by other people, there is never a long line at the check out desk. Being a library student at St. Kate's, I have researched a few public libraries, special libraries, and I have access to the library at St. Kate's and the U of M. This is how I discovered it is the busiest library in the state.

Anyway, I obviously believe in using libraries. I tell all my friends to go to libraries for resources, to study, to get a cup of coffee even. I think that I spend a lot of time at various libraries studying a variety of subjects depending on the library I am at. When I arrived at the public library on Sunday, I remembered why I am not the best library patron. I had not returned one of the books I had checked out last time and I had already created a $7 fee--on one book. I could have just purchased the book at half price books and had all the time to read it (I didn't get to read that book that created that fee). On top of that, I checked out another book--despite the fact that I didn't get to read the last book I checked out. It is like netflix. I let the movies sit in my house for weeks and then half the time I return them without watching them. I returned home thinking, "Are you an idiot? Do you not have enough to do that you must check out a book that you will not read and have to pay for anyway?" I feel guilty already.

In any case, most of my students have a public library card just based on a show of hands in an informal class survey. I meant to get some applications on Sunday, but I was thrown by my $7 fee. I will have to return soon to get them for the students who do not have a library card--which might get me to return my latest check out before a fee is earned.

No comments: